Shoes That Fit

if the shoe fits ... come back for more!

09 May 2010

mother of a day

i pulled a nerve in my back, trying to open a jar of sun dried tomatoes, last night. the sharp pain traveled from the back of my neck down to my hip. now it hurts like hell and it's mighty uncomfortable. quasimodo in the house!

to add to that, i danced w the devil and ate salted egg crabs for dinner last night. we all know, i'm allergic to crustaceans. i took my anti-histamine before indulging but i knew that it wouldn't be enough to avoid the consequences. yet, tho i was armed w the knowledge and familiar with the repercussions, i ate the crab. this morning, i am an itching mess. i also have a swollen tongue and a tight throat.

to add salt to a wound, i seem to have caught the viral gastroenteritis (GE) bug from AG who got it from Bu. or maybe not coz intestinal irritation is also an allergic reaction.

so to sum it up, i feel like shite. i had to call my mom in to help me w the kids today instead of celebrating all that she has done for me. some mother's day this is turning out to be.

mother's day, schmother's day. really, we should appreciate mothers everyday. do we really need a day to prompt us to be nice to our moms, instead of taking them for granted, knowing that they will understand? we play them as much as they play us. but i think we started playing them first. that incessant crying as a baby coz we wanted to be carried, knowing that it tugged at their heart strings. we play moms like a fiddle. and moms, being moms, know this and they still bend backwards for us.

i called my grandmother to wish her "happy mother's day" and to tell her that i would not be able to visit her today. very calmly, she said,"that's ok, mothers should always expect disappointment. don't worry, i know you love me and we both love each other." all i could offer back was a meek promise to visit when i feel better. but i could tell in her voice that she knew not to hold her breath.

i was dumbfounded by the sheer truth of that statement and the impact (in all it's simplicity) it had on me. i know for sure, that as a mom, i'm disappointed a lot. by the kids, the hubs and situations that i have to deal with. like today for eg, hubs has missed mother's day 3 times in a row because of work. which means, i don't get my due appreciation today. and yet, i deal with it and make the most of it. i know he loves me and if given the opportunity, he would not miss it.

so ... appreciate your mother always. believe me, i know it's tough, but they deserve it. if nothing else, for carrying you uncomfortably for 9 months and having to push you out in pain but with so much love.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Denise Oliveiro said...

I felt bad that I couldn't spend mother's day with mum today because of work. I'm out filming again. I hugged her and wished her and she told me that it was alright because she didn't need mother's day to know that I loved her and that being able to spend a little time with me everyday even it was for 5 minutes before I went to bed was enough to make her happy. Just like my mom, You are still supermom in my eyes... Quasimodo or not.

5:00 PM  
Blogger shoesthatfit said...

those are big shoes to fill huh. sometimes i wonder if i can ever come close.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Da Godma said...

Oh... I think you come pretty close Shoes... you just don't know it yet. :)

I have not spent any decent mother's day time w mum... and she decided that she wanted to eat KFC. And looks like I'll miss the family's mother's day lunch this coming Sat too.. coz of work.

Sigh.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home