Shoes That Fit

if the shoe fits ... come back for more!

16 May 2010

caught in a t(ri)angle


i was teaching MB his spelling words in my bedroom, when mom walked in.

mom : whose sandwich is that in the fridge, can i eat it for dinner?

me : it's mine ....

mom : oh, never mind then ... i'll just have some biscuits ...

me : no mom, go ahead and eat it

mom : no no, you eat it

me : no, you have it.

mom : no, no ... nevermind *but her eyes were lying*

me : *annoyed* mom! will you eat it already! stop playing this game. if you want the sandwich, go eat it.

mom : ok *smile*

end of scene one

let me tell you a little something about this sandwich. it's a smoked salmon sandwich from swiss bake. the bread is kraftkorn which is a dark malt bread consisting of cereals and oil seeds , malt, wheat, rye, oat, soya, sunflower seeds and flaxseed. if you buy it off their shelf, it sells as a loaf. but for this sandwich, it's baked round, and it's cut in a generous wedge - almost the size of a large pizza slice. the filling is smoked salmon, cream cheese, lettuce and capers on a meculin salad - again, all generous portions. priced decently at $8.50 a pop.

*i'll pause right here for you guys to soak it in and get a visual
*

this IS my favourite sandwich and it's extremely hard to come by because it sells out very VERY fast. this afternoon, when i went to swiss bake to order MB's bday cake, i saw the beautiful sandwich from the corner of my eye. i knew it was mine! IT HAD TO BE MINE!!

scene two

mom : let's share ... i'll cut it into half

me : ok mom, if it will make you happy

moments later i walk up to the sandwich (remember, i told you it's cut in a wedge). mom's idea of half was not down the middle from the tip to the crust (creating 2 triangles). nooooo, she cut it right across, creating an isosceles triangle on one end and a trapezium of sorts on the other. i took one look at what had become of my sandwich and told mom that she could have it all.

mom, who is used to my idiosyncrasies, decided to agree with me without batting an eye.

end

1) for me, it's either ALL or nothing. yeah, sure i'll share ... but it's not my preference ... i know ... i'm a selfish punk

2) i'll never get over the feeling of having to sacrifice. i swear, i was not made for this emotion. i know for most, there is a sense of satisfaction, gratification even, knowing that you've given up something you like to someone who needs it more. but i rarely ever get this effect following a sacrifice. close to never. instead, i get a sick feeling in my stomach. i ruffle my feathers for not holding fort.

3) i like eating my food, especially my sweets and savories, in wedges. i must have a thing for triangles. i know that when i eat steak, i like cutting it into tiny triangular bits. of course, i like seeing my cakes, pies and quiches sliced this way too. food cut in squares/ rectangles are so blah. food cut in wedges take you on a journey - a choose your own adventure gastronomical trip even. follow me ....

you can start with the tip where everything is at it's richest. that's where you get most of the filling. the end is where the crust is thickest. also the most gritty texture. sometimes it's bland, but still nice as a last taste. i like to alternate tip and end sometimes, to balance the flavours. unless it's cake with an icing or is coated with chocolate rice or shavings etc. so then the logic reverses and the end is now the richest. sometimes i savour the tip for last, other times the crust. the combinations vary on the mood and what is served.

so when i saw my beautiful triangle sandwich butchered, i felt robbed of my journey and just had to walk away.

POST NOTE : this blog is also tri-part-tied hahahaha. 3 topics. i amuse myself. :)

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hahahaha. yes you do. I'll keep my eye out for this sandwich.

10:46 AM  
Blogger shoesthatfit said...

you really should! it's like the blue bird of sandwiches.

... it seems that i amuse you too :)

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Da Godma said...

U amuse all of us lah.

I don't believe I just read a LONG blog about eating In triangles. At least this blog wasn't circular!

Note to self: have to cut pie, cakes n all similar type foods in wedges. Alt solution - leave the cutting to Shoes.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Da Godma said...

Sidenote: the sandwich sounds damn good. I want me one.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Denise Oliveiro said...

And do you also have to stand to the left of the sandwich when you cut it to wedges?

3:56 PM  
Blogger Denise Oliveiro said...

O do you also need your sandwich folded like your chips?

8:52 PM  
Blogger shoesthatfit said...

leave the way i like my chips out of this woman. folded chips are the best ok. double the pleasure in every bite :)

AND for the record, i like folded sandwiches. i prefer them folded long rather than on the breadth. makes dunking it in my coffee cup so much easier and neater.

whhaaaatttt! i'm the one who eats in triangles remember! don't you like a woman who KNOWS what she likes?!

12:10 AM  
Blogger shoesthatfit said...

i thot i'd be specific in case one day you need to make me a folded sandwich.

- fold sandwich long if using a spread like peanut butter or nutella

- fold the bread short if using deli meats or doing a mushroom melt etc. better control.

yes ... IT IS always about control.

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should try its pecan pie.... and its butter crossiant. buttery, wicked... i passed the shop in the morning when i bought my coffee, and took a step back, went in and bought one. and i return the next day for more! damn butter....

~win

5:37 PM  
Blogger Denise Oliveiro said...

I got the folded thing the moment you introduced a potato chip sandwich to me when we were teenage rumball junkies. Not only did you fold it, you pressed it down so that the bread would cling to the chips...

O let's talk about how you need to have the wedges standing upright... failed to mention that bit didn't ya?

So I should never serve you a heart-shaped, open sandwich, lying on its side with you to my right... are you getting crazy eyes just picturing the whole scenario?

11:23 PM  
Blogger Homeschool @ sg said...

I'll always remember that day when you told me about your struggle with sacrificing your FAV food for your family. Then i was not married, not a mother- i thought you were being silly. Well, i am now a mother and i keep hearing you in my head every freaking time that i have to sacrifice my food for my son! Because, i also struggle!! Sometimes i secretly steal from his portions....and then...give it back. ARRRGGG!!! Oh and heee hee, i just love to hear stories about how your mom annoys you! ;)...darth lazy!

9:07 PM  
Blogger shoesthatfit said...

hahaha ... it's tuff huh, sacrifice. and i'm glad to see that my agony brings you much pleasure.

i miss you woman. it's been too long :)

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home