Shoes That Fit

if the shoe fits ... come back for more!

14 May 2007

my mother's daughter


many times i feel that i am not the daughter mom hoped i'd turn out to be. she likes secret sharing sessions (i'm too secretive), girlie afternoons (i like being alone), food swapping at meal time (don't eat off my plate). She is day and i am night. she wants to be oprah and i want to hide in a hole. you feeling me?

she always (to this day) excitedly tells people that i'm her daughter - i stand by the side smiling sheepishly as she introduces me to strangers. she tells the taxi driver, the hawker, the butcher who doesn't speak english. and i'm like "who the f*ck cares!" ... sigh ... she does.

i grew up wanting to be her, but as i developed my own character, i wanted to be different. mom and i have not found our middle ground (yet) and we get on each other's nerves a lot (and i MEAN a lot) but i would defend her with my life. it's like (and i mean this in jest) no one bullies my mom ... except me : ) everybody else better speak to her with respect or else i'll keropok you nicely.

i have problems showing mom that i love her. i do, i really do, love her. and i appreciate her so much, but i dun have the spoken words for it. i wish i could write her, but mom hates reading ... unless it's celebrity gossip. i'm sure we'll see the light in time ... else we have "golden girls" moments to look forward to. trust me, you don't want to stick around for that.

i got this from discovery.com. i think it's just so freaking true.

When you're five, she's a goddess. You smear your face with her lipstick and model her earrings and high heels, wanting to be just like mommy. That's the way it is until you're about thirteen, when she suddenly becomes the most ignorant, benighted, out-of-touch creature on the planet, and you can't get far enough away from her. Your primary form of interaction for the next five years or so will be a single word, "Mooooooooooooommmmmmm!" And then, somewhere between your twenties and your thirties, if you're lucky, she becomes your best friend again.

Mothers and daughters who struggle with their relationships as adults often repeat the old patterns of control and rebellion from childhood, says Dr. Tracy. "They can't hear each other. The daughter will hear the mother say something and she'll think, 'She wants to control me.' And the mother is saying something that absolutely is controlling, but is not meant to be." Meanwhile, when the daughter speaks, the mother hears nothing but anger — in a comment that does indeed convey anger but also "I love you, and can't we do this differently?"

No relationship is quite as primal as the one between a mother and her daughter. "It's the original relationship, and it's also a relationship that has been sentimentalized but not honored," says Lee Sharkey, Ph.D., who directs the Women's Studies program at the University of Maine at Farmington, where she teaches a popular course in mother-daughter relationships. "Women grow up and our energy is largely turned toward men, but the original love relationship is with a mother. If we as daughters don't acknowledge that, we're closing ourselves off from a great source of power and fulfillment and understanding of ourselves.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think all mum-daughters relationships have similar trials. I love my mum to death. But spending more than a certain number of hours with her will drive me nuts. And I think it works both ways.

So the roller coaster chugs on. Guilt for not spending enough time with her. Impatience when it's too much.

But I hear you sista - nobody bullies my mum but me... :D

ps - I've signed up for the GST thing
pss - I've good exciting news!

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait..is that just an scorpion trait? coz I think yr hubs is also likedat right?

3:08 PM  
Blogger shoesthatfit said...

what? he likes to annoy mom but only he is allowed. hmmm ... maybe it's abt control.

at least he is not that territorial abt brothers. he lets me bully you : ) yay!!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Still Standing Strong in A Bloom of Hope. said...

Cozmic..just wrote about my mum too...Got all teary-eyed when I read this..

10:02 PM  
Blogger Denise Oliveiro said...

mom watched Miami Ink with me the other night. She was sooo in awe of the artwork and it made her want a tattoo. I'm still learning stuff the mom. She's full of surprises. This tiny, wholesome woman who apparently would love a tattoo if not for the blood.

And yes, it's a scorpio thing. The bro (scorpio) is extremely protective of mom and I... but it's ok if he is the cause of our pain... hyah, scorpio thing.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So can we agree in unison that its a scorpio thingy?

haha..

btw..should change the blog name to "scorpion in a shoe" or something likedat..since its a den over here..

ok..dont sting me

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aiyoh... have you learn nothing about Scorps? We are a little more subtle than that... heh

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home