Shoes That Fit

if the shoe fits ... come back for more!

31 October 2007

blood sugar sex magik

i took a HIV test last week, not bcoz i lead an exciting life, but coz the screening was free. it was health screening week at the hospital.

it reminded me of when i purposefully took a HIV test some 10 years ago. again, not because i was promiscuous but coz i was moving into a new relationship and i needed to know that my partner was safe. it was the "you jump, i jump" era so if i wanted him to take the test, i had to as well.

anyways, we never went back for the results coz the free screen was in a sleazy side of town. and we figured that if we did have HIV, someone would have called us for a follow-up.

on another note, the hospital was down on O+ blood a month ago so i decided to donate. i'm a regular, i actually enjoy the process (i'm weird that way) and knowing that i get to save a life without doing much (i'm lazy that way).

i went to the blood bank and filled up the extensive form. had a discussion about my tattoos coz i did my last one less then 6 months ago. eventually, the nurse said that as long as it was done locally, it's safe.

then she took my pressure and weight. next came the blood test to check my haemoglobin levels. turns out i'm low on iron. so after all that fuss, i had to walk away with supplements instead. but the nice nurse allowed me to enjoy the hot milo anyways. life's little pleasure s: )

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Denise Oliveiro said...

you know I turn pale and get all light headed when there's talk of blood and needles! I'm queezy now. I need a hot milo.

5:39 PM  
Blogger shoesthatfit said...

ok ok .... don't panic ... take deep breaths and let the blood rush back to your head (but don't visualise it or we could be doing this for hours!)

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home